A Philosophy of Volunteerism
Our Place supports the values upon which volunteerism is based and adheres to the following philosophy and general principles of volunteering:
- Volunteering benefits the community, the volunteer and the organization.
- Volunteering is always a matter of free will and choice.
- Volunteering is an activity that is unpaid.
- Volunteering is a way for individuals and groups to address human and social needs in their community.
- Volunteers do not replace paid employees and do not constitute a threat to the job security of employees.
- Volunteering respects the rights, dignity and culture of others.
Our Place values the contributions made by our volunteers and seeks to recognize that contribution by:
- acknowledging that the relationship between volunteers and Our Place is a reciprocal one;
- acknowledging that volunteers are of equal status and deserve the same treatment and respect as paid employees;
- acknowledging that Our Place can expect the same standards of its volunteers as it expects of its paid employees;
- ensuring volunteers only carry out tasks that they have agreed to do;
- stating and acknowledging the contribution of volunteers in Our Place documentation and by recording hours worked;
- providing an opportunity for the development of skills and experience; and
- providing support in the form of clear policy guidelines, training and recognition and the provision of references, if requested.
Our Place Volunteers — Simply the Best!